Job interviews often feel nerve-wrecking. The good thing about them is that you can expect certain questions to come up, so you can prepare ahead of time to ease that anxiety. Below is a list of common interview questions I collected over the years. Before you go through the list read tips from Interview Cake on how to prepare answers to these common interview questions.
Tell me a bit about yourself.
- Avoid personal life and focus on past employment or accomplishments.
- Connect the dots on your resume by talking about why you took and left certain jobs.
- Where do you see yourself in 1/3/5 years?
- What kind of work environment do you like best?
What is your greatest weakness?
- Great opportunity to show self-reflection and ability to take criticism.
- Try not to be too memorable with the weakness. Spend more time on how you (are) overcome(ing) it.
- Tell me about a time you disagreed with a decision. What did you do?
- Tell me about a situation where you did not get along with your team/superior.
Describe a situation where you were part of a failed project.
- Make sure to describe in detail what you learned and how you plan to avoid it next time.
- Why should we hire you out of all other candidates?
- What do you like to do outside of work?
What questions do you have for me? My favorites:
- Could you give me an example of a typical work day?
- What kind of management style rules here?
- If I got the job, what would my first few weeks look like?
- If I were hired, what would be my immediate tasks and what expectations would be tied to those?
- How will my performance be evaluated?
- Hypothetically you offer me the position and I accept. A year from now I have my annual performance review, I’ve exceeded expectations and you're very impressed. What are things that I have done which have made that impression?
- How did the best person you hired for this position look like?
- What traits have made someone excel in this role?
- If you were to rank them, what are the three traits your top performers have in common?
Updated 2 March, 2019